Tuesday, February 28, 2023

more from Paul

 In response to one of the pics I asked him about:

" the problem I have is no one wrote on the back who was in the pictures so although I found a lot of small pictures while clearing out the old house I have no idea who is in most of them.  It was only then when I found memorial cards for the likes of your grandfather that I first knew  I had relations in America shortly after I was contacted by Fran. I don't believe the Mc Callion men were great at keeping in contact and I often wonder did any of them come home at the times of their parents' deaths but I also know that your grandmother did keep in touch and one person was James' sister Annie in Co Wexford. One other thing that Fran told me was that when Michael was killed James snr and Mary offered to raise the 3 children if they were sent back to Ireland .So to give you a outline of your grandfather James' siblings that stayed in Ireland I will start with John:

John Mc Callion Married Margret Mc Ginley in 1906 and had the following children:

Mary born 1907 Died 1994

Anna Born 1908 died 2003 

Veronica born 1910 died 1996 

Bridget born1912 died 1998 

James born 1914 died 1915 

John born 1919 died 1979 

Hugh born 1921 died 1999 

My father  John  first worked with his father at road building then joined the railways and then a conductor on the buses . Hugh worked driving lorries and buses then became a bread delivery man. Vera and Bridie worked in a shirt factory and Mary ran the local Post Office. It was Mary that your mother met while over here. Anna worked in her later years as a bookkeeper for a local  mill but looked after the home most of her life as Margret her mum died in 1935.Also my Grandfather John had a stroke and she cared for him at home for years."

No comments:

Post a Comment